With internet users’ base of around 600 million, it won’t be hard to determine the reason for the success of eCommerce portals like Amazon and Flipkart. In a country, which still prefers a brick-and-mortar shop, it was quite a stiff challenge for eCommerce to make a foray. Today, We will discuss about Ecommerce Website Development Cost in 2021.
The central government of India has brought in several measures to catalyze the eCommerce market In India like
- 100% FDI under automatic route
- 100% FDI in B2B eCommerce
As developing an eCommerce portal involves lots of technicalities and complexities, it becomes difficult for a layman to determine the actual cost of ecommerce development. This is where it gets necessary to understand all the elements that play a role in determining the cost of developing an eCommerce website.
So, let’s now delver deeper into this topic to find out the precise cost of designing and developing an eCommerce website.
Before we move further, there are two questions that must need to be answered:
- How many sales you wish to make from your eCommerce portal?
- What type of features and functionalities do you want on your website?
There might be differences in your responses, basis you’re a startup or an established player. But, one thing that is clear is that the website development cost varies tremendously.
Please do keep in mind that launching an eCommerce portal is like initiating a fresh business. It asks for capital, planning and a dedicated team of professionals who are ready to give their 100%.
How much it would cost to build an eCommerce website in 2021?
Ecommerce Website Development Cost Factors
- Design – There are two options – a fixed template and custom design. The cost varies greatly between them.
- Functionality – Keep in mind that custom functionality elements and distinctive program features will shoot up the cost.
- Data Import – If you require product data or historical order/customer data imported, it will increase your website development costs. Make sure you have the entire database need to make the website function.
- SEO – Quite obviously, opting for a full-fledged digital marketing and ecommerce SEO plan will increase the cost of your eCommerce website development.
- Integration – Integrating a website with ERP or any other third-party system can cost a lot more.
- Website Development Partner – If you choose an experienced and reputed website development company in India, you might need to shell out more money for the job.
Frequently Asked Questions on Ecommerce Development Cost
1. Why do you want an eCommerce website?
The foremost purpose of having an eCommerce store is to sell your products & services online to your customers. This eventually helps in getting more sales and more customers. This also helps in getting better conversion rates.
2. How many products your eCommerce portal would have?
3. Should I need database integration for my website?
4. Do I really need website maintenance?
5. Do I need hosting support?
This is indeed the first step towards eCommerce website development. In order to make a website LIVE and running on the internet, it is necessary to host a website. Web hosting is basically the space that you buy on a webserver to store your website files. When you choose a website hosting you actually rent server space on a server where your web files are stored.
6. How many customers do you have?
7. Do I need ERP integration?
The requirement for ERP integration is to mechanize business processes in a bid to augment business efficiency and enable better visibility. Do remember that When your eCommerce and other digital ordering processes are not automated, mistakes are pretty much common. Some of them are:
- Wrong shipping addresses can be fed
- Improper inventory levels can lead to overselling
- Product details could be imperfect, improper, or even lost
- Eventually, in case of any such system in place, your entire end-to-end customer experience would be at risk
Sample distribution of eCommerce website development cost:
- Domain Name – Neary $15/year
- Website Hosting – From $144 to $360 a year (relies on elements such as used eCommerce CMS, number of products, pages, and expected site traffic.)
- eCommerce website planning, custom design &development, and database integration – Generally 100 hours and more depending on the number of products, pages, customization level and the complexity of eCommerce functions
- eCommerce CMS & Product Database Maintenance – $600 per year and above (depending on the number and frequency of updates and the level of product management)
- Digital Marketing and SEO of eCommerce Portal – $360 per year and up (depends on frequency of promotions, social media management, and content inclusions to the eCommerce site)
Major elements that influence eCommerce website development cost
1. eCommerce website design
Web design is one of the major influencers in eCommerce development cost determination. A majority of SaaS platforms are inclusive of templates and themes for an eCommerce website development project, which is typically customized to some level to match the individual site.
Though these platforms save on time and money, they cost high. Most fundamental design themes cost up to $300, but installation and customization can cost up to $2,000. A very extensive, customized site that is above part may cost up to $100,000.
In order for your eCommerce portal to lure the audience and retain, it is necessary that the design is captivating. And it becomes more impactful if there are large numbers of products to show on the portal.
2. Product images and graphic design
The graphical essentials of an eCommerce website generally cost from $500 to $2,000. Stock photography can be fairly costly, so as the custom photography and graphic design job.
But at the same time, it is also true that it is one of the crucial elements of online eCommerce store development. A visually captivating website is far more likely to invite visitors and retain them long enough to turn them into customers.
Great-quality product images are also necessary for a successful eCommerce website. Your distributor may already possess good quality product images. If not, consult an offshore designer is to get the product images optimized.
3. Web Hosting
Though it works at the back-end, it is undoubtedly one of the most critical elements behind the success of an eCommerce portal. A majority of SaaS platforms provide some kind of hosting, though it may not of great level in terms of storage, traffic and the number of orders, customers, and products.
In the beginning, SaaS platforms can be a good choice. As the business surges, most owners shift to dedicated hosting.
4. Training & Support
Ignoring the ongoing maintenance cost of an eCommerce store can be a grave mistake. Whether you’re a startup or an experienced player, training and support is much needed. Be ready to pay from $500 to $1,200 for the basic training, on the basis of the complexity of your eCommerce platform and the number of people to be trained.
How to measure custom eCommerce development cost?
Look at the following table to understand.
- 10% Planning and pre-development tasks
- 55% E-commerce system Configuration and Database Integration
- 25% Website Design
- 10% eCommerce Development Project Management