If you have ever used “TikTok”, Instagram Reels need no introduction. Widely claimed as the exact copy of “TikTok”, Instagram Reels have come a long way in entertaining people worldwide.
Whether you are a student, homemaker, working professional, businessperson, teenager, Instagram Reels has managed to touch our lives in one or many ways.
You may be seeing everyone around making videos on Reels. This has become a fad today. So, let’s get to know everything about it in this post.
According to a study, it has been found that nearly 60% of TikTok users are moving towards Instagram Reels and a whopping 1,70,00 searches were made on Google for the phrase ‘Instagram Reels.’
Since its initial launch in 2009, Instagram has become an inherent part of the Instagram network.
Table of Contents
What are Instagram Reels?
In the most generalized way, Instagram Reels refer to short, easy-to-consume videos. Quite similar to TikTok, Instagram Reels allow users to shoot videos of up to 15, 30, or 60 seconds.
Besides video recording, users can do a lot of editing on the video clips and share them on their profiles. These videos can also be shared on Instagram stories.
Instagram Reel Tab refers to a collection of trending reels/videos & videos from popular Instagram accounts.
When it comes to uploading the videos, users can either shoot the videos on the spot or upload a pre-recorded & pre-edited video from the gallery.
Instagram Reels allows users to choose from a wide range of effects that tend to make the video more vibrant and captivating. Some of them are augmented reality effects, transition, duet, slow motion, fast forward, time-lapse, and others.
With respect to the audio, users can choose either native audio or overly the corresponding audio in the video before downloading or uploading the video on this popular video-sharing platform.
However, it is to note that the app credits the original user’s account only.
It is entirely up to you with whom you want to share your videos. However, if your profile is public, reels with be visible on the explore tab and the Reel tab.
“The app’s algorithm works in such a way that it shows the reels considering your present location, accounts you follow, and the type of content you are interested in.”
Apart from entertaining people, Instagram Reels is extremely beneficial for businesses and brands that can share Reels based on their products, experiences, and buyers.
Whether you are a startup or a multinational enterprise, the platform has tremendous potential for businesses of all types and industries.
If you own a business in the B2C segment, Instagram Reels could be a wonderful platform for you to promote your products & services.
As it is a user-centric platform, the likelihood of getting your brand visible is quite high.
With an astonishing monthly reach of 1 billion users, Instagram has emerged as the most sought-after marketing tool for businesses today.
Also Read:How to Make Money from Instagram
Instagram Reels Vs Instagram Story
There are two main elements of Instagram – Instagram Reels and Instagram Story. Though both of them may appear similar, don’t get confused between them as there are somewhat different from each other.
Difference Between Reels And Story
- Instagram Reels allow users to choose from a wide range of editing tools such as time-lapse, video speed changes, AR effects, contrary to Instagram stories. In addition, there is an option to combine different videos and perform transitions on them in reels which is not possible in the Instagram story facility.
- Contrary to the Instagram story, reels remain visible in explore tab. Moreover, you can upload a reel on the feed and use it as a story post.
- Instagram Story gets deleted within 24 hours, but there is a completely different section for reels on Instagram, similar to IGTV posts. Your original audio is credited to you, however, it can be used by others for fresh reels.
Difference Between Instagram and TikTok
Many people say Instagram Reels is a copycat of TikTok. To some extent, this is true but both platforms are slightly different from each other.
- The primary concept of both the apps is similar as both allow users to shoot & share short engaging videos. Instagram Reels & TikTok both help users to transmit the message through videos.
- Instagram Reels is a feature powered by Instagram, the world’s leading photo-sharing platform whereas TikTok is an entirely separate platform.
- On Instagram Reels, users can capture video of a maximum of 60 seconds, whereas TikTok allows them to create videos of up to 3 minutes.
How to Create Your First Instagram Reel?
So, now you understand much about Instagram Reels. Are you ready to create your first reel? If yes, below is a step-by-step guide on how to do that.
- Open the Instagram app and tap the Reels tab which usually lies in the middle of the bottom 5 icons.
- Once you start seeing the reels shared by other users, you just need to tap on the camera icon appearing in the top right section.
- Here you will get a detailed reel making section
- To make a plain reels video with your native audio, you can press and hold the reels button appearing in the mid-bottom section. Please note that it won’t contain any visual or audio effects.
Adding Visual Effects To Your Instagram Reels
The first thing to understand is that either you can record the video and add the visual effect later or first choose the effect and record the video later.
- The trending video “effects” appear on the bottom, typically near the reel recording button.
- Once your tap on it, you can see different sections like TRENDING, REELS, APPEARANCE, a search icon, SAVED effects.
- Here you can choose from a number of visual effects. The chosen effect will instantly reflect in the camera screen appearing on the top. So, you can try different effects on your camera capture output and select the one you like the most.
- Once this is done, you can proceed with other things like speed, timer, video layout, and alignment.
- Now, if you have already captured the reel and want to add a visual effect, it can also be done. For that, you need to tap on the Preview button appearing at the bottom.
- The saved video will start playing with some icons appearing on the top. Now, you need to tap on the video effects button. The trending effects will appear at the bottom. You can slide them left to explore various effects and apply the one you like.
- So, this is how you can add a visual effect to your reel. Now, let’s know how to use other things.
Adding Other Effects to Your Instagram Reel
- Once you choose a visual effect for your video, the next thing to work on is the audio and other effects. We will look at “How to add music to Instagram Reels?” in the next part of this post. Now, first, look at other effects.
- The speed selector appears on the left side of the screen, right below the audio selector. The available speed options are .3x, .5x, 1x, 2x, and 3x.
- The video layout icon appears on the left-hand side of the screen and you can choose the layout you like.
- Once you select a layout, you can either record the video or upload it from the gallery by selecting the gallery icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Now, hit the checkmark button.
- You can edit the video by featuring stickers, voiceover, audio, writing, or drawing something on it.
- Once you are okay with the video quality, just tap the arrow button and share it with Reels.
You can set the timer for self-capture, audio adjustment. You can capture multiple videos using the timer and then compile a final reel.
Since Instagram allows its users to create Reels of 15-seconds, users can use the timer and record video clips of particular lengths. For example, you can set a timer of 5 seconds where you can record a clip of 5 seconds once you tap the capture button.
Once you capture a video, you can choose to use an “Align” tool to ensure that your device’s camera remains in the same position before you record your next clip.
The above-mentioned steps are enough to help you create your first reel effortlessly and perfectly.
Also Read: How to Get Verified Blue Checkmark Symbol?
How to Add Music to Instagram Reels
Since music is an inherent part of Instagram Reels, it is necessary to know how you can add music to your Reel feasibly.
Instagram has rolled out several new features that have made adding music extremely easy. So, here is how to do that.
- Open the Instagram app
- Tap on the Instagram Reels icon
- On the left side of the screen, tap on the music icon to select music or a sound
- Tap the ‘Saved’ icon to explore sounds you’ve added to your gallery
- Go through various sounds that are trending on Instagram
- View songs Instagram thinks you would prefer in the ‘For You’ section
- Or tap on the ‘Search Music’ bar at the base of the screen to search for a specific song or artist
Adding Music To The Instagram Reels
- Once you get a sound or audio you like, tap on it
- The song section will open, and you can slide the bar at the bottom of the screen to set the specific portion of the song you want to apply
- A pink dot refers to the most trending part of the audio
- The lyrics will also appear n the screen to make it simpler for the users to choose the perfect snippet
- When you feel satisfied, tap on the ‘Done’ button on the top right-hand side of the app, and the music addition is finally done!
You can now do other edits and tap on the Next button to proceed with the sharing of the reel.
Also Learn about Facebook Ads Cost.
How to Access Instagram Reels Insights?
Whether you are using Reels as an influencer or as a business or brand, the measurement of your profile performance is necessary to take better steps further.
Since their launch in 2019, Instagram Reels have come a long way in today’s video-centric digital landscape. Today, it poses itself as the most widely used video-sharing app among people from different walks of life.
Let’s find out what is Reels analytics and how you can access it.
It refers to the procedure of tracking, gathering, and analyzing data to check the performance of your Reels. Overall, it helps users in making better creative decisions and adopting more engaging strategies.
At the outset, it presents an opportunity for users in understanding their audience better and devote their time and money to attain desired results.
Nowadays, checking Reels analytics is very easy.
- Visit the Reels section in your Instagram app and check the number of views against each Reel. (It is shown at the bottom of each thumbnail)
- Open a specific Reel to check the number of likes and comments it got
Instagram Reels Analytics Metrics
There are various parameters in Reels analytics that help determine the performance of a Reel like:
Accounts Reached. It shows how many new Instagram users viewed your Reel minimal once.
Plays. This refers to the number of times your Reel has been played. It may be higher than the figure of accounts reached, as some viewers may watch your Reel multiple times.
Likes. The number of users who liked your Reel.
Comments. The number of comments received on a specific Reel.
Saves. The number of times your Reel was bookmarked.
Shares. The number of times Instagram users shared your Reel to their story or forwarded it to another person.
How to access Instagram Reels Insights
To access insights, visit your profile in the mobile app, and tap the insights button.
Note: – Do keep in mind that Insights can only be accessed in professional Instagram accounts. And switching to a business account is very easy, so, you can do it in no time.
Once you do that, you can jump to Accounts Reached in the Overview section.
Reels analytics can now be accessed in the Reach breakdown. As per Instagram, this provides Instagram users with a detailed understanding of how Reels underwrite a profile’s overall performance.
To check Reels-specific insights, scroll down to Reels in the Insights summary section and tap the right arrow next to your number of Reels. Here, view all of your Reels performance metrics easily.
To check the performance of a specific Reel, open the Reel from your profile, then tap the three-dot icon in the bottom right of the screen, now tap Insights.
How the Instagram Reels Algorithm Works
Since their launch, Reels have come a long way in allowing both individuals and brands to reach out to new people and regions. If you want to make the most of Reels, let’s see how Instagram Reels algorithm works.
There is no single algorithm Reels follows, but there are multiple algorithms that work together. Therefore, you can understand them and customize your content strategy to work on it.
In general, there are four primary aspects that drive the Instagram Reels algorithm for feed posts.
- Information related to the post: Are you posting a photo or a video? What was the posting time? How many likes does it get?
- Information about the poster: How engaging are they to you? Are they on your friend list? How frequently do people engage with their information?
- Your activity: Do you prefer to watch multiple videos? What kind of content do you usually engage with?
- Your interaction record: Do you usually like or comment on the other’s posts?
Considering this information, the Instagram algorithm measures how likely a person is to communicate with a post, called a score of interest, which eventually ascertains the order in which posts would be shown in their feed.
However, there are several other factors that have a say in instigating the interactions. They are:
- Time spent: Are you likely to devote time to the post?
- Likes: How likely are you to like the post?
- Comments: How probable are you to comment on the post?
- Saves: How likely are you to save the post?
- Taps on Profile: How prospective are you to tap on the profile after viewing the post?
Adam Mosseri, the Head of Instagram says, “The more probable you are to indulge in one such activity, the more weightage that action gets.”
At the outset, the more likely your content is to engage people, your post will cease to be prioritized in their feeds. Do remember that Instagram doesn’t back specific types of content: low resolution or political video content, or watermarked content.
How to Use Instagram Reels for Business in 2023
Are you looking to yield the best results out of Instagram Reels in 2023? If yes, it is necessary to understand the ways you can use Reels to make it work for you or your business.
Various renowned brands and businesses have been using Reels in various creative ways to expose their offerings to their target audience.
Some of the brands that have been garnering awesome results through Instagram Reels are Red Bull, Louie Vuitton, and many more.
Below are some of the most preferred ways to use Reels for Businesses in 2023.
- Showcase Your Product
As Reels allow people to find new content, Reels emerge as a wonderful avenue for your brand to capture the attention of new customers or clients.
Make product videos & combine them with the most appropriate hashtags, creative caption, and right audio to make it work for your brand in an engaging way.
- Share Tutorials
Posting educational content is long been considered a wonderful way to gain the attention of people. Likewise, you can share Reels related to your product tutorials.
For example, if you have been selling electronic gadgets, you can share the ways in which one can use them with real-life examples. Share insightful information as it is more likely to get featured on Reels.
- Reel Ads
Instagram Reels can also be used as an advertising platform. The ad placement enables a total of six ad purposes – Reach, Brand Awareness, App installs, Traffic, Video views & Conversions.
With Instagram reels ad you can target your niche & engage with your probable customers while they explore fresh content in Reels.
- Make Fresh Launch or Offers
You can use Instagram reels to make new product announcements. The videos have been found to make the content more interesting and engaging.
However, to make it work, try to establish a balance; being excessively promotional may adversely impact the engagement level of your ad. Do it indirectly by determining the need of the target audience & their social conduct.
- Propagate Brand Culture
Reels have been considered an amazing way to showcase what your company is all about and who you are. Try to depict behind-the-scenes to instil a lasting relationship with your audience.
They can get to know who you are, what are you offering, how you can add value to their lives. It is a wonderful way to win peoples’ trust.
What’s the Future of Instagram Reels?
Considering the rising popularity of Instagram Reels in today’s fast-paced global landscape, there are lots of things that can be expected from the leading video-sharing platform.
Here are some predictions about Instagram Reels that you just need to know.
Refreshed Editing Features
If you look carefully, you may some gaps in the editing feature of the app. For example, Instagram doesn’t enable its users to record a voice-over in the app.
Also, several new Instagram accounts don’t have access to Instagram music. In the absence of these two important features, most users edit their videos on other apps to keep them engaging. This is something Instagram is likely to work on in the future.
More Monetization Choices for Content Creators
In October 2020, Instagram launched shopping-friendly IGTV posts – enabling users to buy products from creators while watching their videos.
During that launch, Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri assured us that shoppable Reels would be out soon but still, there is no update on them.
We believe that they’re sure to come very soon though. As IGTV posts were quite profitable for the app, we can expect to witness the same feature in Reels too.
There are many features that were available in TikTok but they are nowhere in Instagram Reels. For example, TikTok allowed users to feasibly duet with other content or combine their videos with another person’s videos.
The resulting content was much more engaging, collaborative, and dynamic. Hopefully, Instagram would look into this and give more space to content collaboration on the app.
Also Read: How to Promote A Facebook Business Page?
Easy to Create Viral Trends on Instagram Reels
Viral trends started on TikTok and gradually shifted to Instagram Reels as users repopulated their TikTok to Reels. Instagram doesn’t allow this. So, we expected Instagram to work on this so as to encourage content creators to create viral trends on Reels.
How to Find Hashtags for Instagram Reels?
If you own a small or medium business account on Instagram, it is strongly advised to utilize the power of hashtags which may make your Reel appear on top of hashtag pages, for an extended period of time.
Here are two interesting hashtags for Reels:
- Reel videos consume lots of space on hashtag pages, which simply means that your video will grab people’s attention first.
- Your video will be placed on the Top of the Hashtag Page for many days after you publish it, which will help you garner more post reach.
Finding relevant and trending hashtags for Instagram Reels
Preview boasts an Instagram Hashtag Generator with the most trending Instagram hashtags for various types of accounts. You can browse these hashtags for different types of content, sections, and even Instagram societies.
In Preview, open your caption
Tap on “Find Hashtags”
The most effective hashtags are associated with:
- What is your account related to, or
- What is your Instagram Reel content related to, or
- What your perfect customers are exploring on Instagram, or
- What are your business or products
How Influencers Can Earn from Instagram Reels?
Do you know that even a micro-influencer can earn up to $300 through just one Reel?
In the present context, Instagram Reels is considered to be a money-making platform for many. So, if you are an influencer, Reels give an amazing monetary opportunity to earn more. Here are some of the most popular ways to earn from Instagram Reels.
- Affiliate Marketing
If you have just started, you may not get too many deals from Brands. In this case, you can reach out to small or local brands, discuss with them how you can market their content through Reels, and give out affiliate links if they offer any affiliate programs.
Links given by influencers like you have helped various brands in boosting their sales. So, there is a high likelihood for influencers to make money on Instagram Reels through affiliate marketing.
- Become An Influencer
If you have made up your mind to earn money through Reels, the most promising option is to become an influencer. You need to take steps in a planned way so as to post yourself as a pro in a specific domain.
Once your profile starts getting more traction, you can connect with various brands operating in that domain to promote their products or services.
- Sell Products
If you are an artist, or you own a brand, Instagram Reels emerges as a wonderful avenue to make your products sell. The primary reason being that is the promotional capability of Instagram Reels that makes people connect with it.
All you need to do is to post valuable and engaging content. Feature online links to buy your product or if you only use Instagram for selling purposes, design an attractive profile by preparing some awesome reels.
- Be Original
While concentrating on making money through Instagram Reels, the first and foremost thing to remember is to stay original. Don’t try to imitate others but create your own brand, even it is small.
At a time, when copying has become a fashion, being original is the need of the hour. And, even if you copy something from other accounts, don’t forget to give credits to them.
What is The Time limit of Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels can be generally of two lengths – 15 seconds and 30 seconds. Reels usually are 15 seconds long.
How to Change The Instagram Reels Duration?
If you want to change the time duration of Instagram Reels, tap the “15” on the left part of the screen before you start recording the video. You can switch between 15 and 30 seconds instantly until you start recording, but once you start, it gets locked in at the designated length.
Whether you are an influencer or a business, Instagram Reels offers a lot of growth opportunities to all types of elements when it comes to promoting something. However, in order to get the best results, staying original and creative is very much necessary.
Want to Know More About Instagram Reels?
RankON Technologies is a leading Instagram marketing agency in India that offers the best Instagram marketing packages for all types of businesses. Being India’s leading Digital Marketing Agency, we offer the best quality Facebook Marketing, YouTube Marketing and other digital marketing packages. Contact us today for more details.Get in Touch!Check our Instagram Marketing Packages
FAQs About Instagram Reels
During its initial launch in 2019, the users were allowed to create a Reel of a maximum of 15 seconds. However, in July last year, Instagram revised the length of the Reel and allowed users to create Reels of 60 seconds. There are three length options – 5 seconds, 30 seconds, and 60 seconds.
According to research, the most appropriate time to post Instagram Reels is:
Sunday: 7 AM, 8 AM, 4 PM
Monday: 6 AM, 10 AM, 10 PM
Tuesday: 2 AM, 4 AM, 9 AM
Wednesday: 7 AM, 8 AM, 11 PM
Thursday: 9 AM, 12 AM, 7 PM
Friday: 5 AM, 1 PM, 3 PM
Saturday: 11 AM, 7 PM, 8 PM
The selection of the best time for Instagram Reels depends on a lot of factors like the time when your audience is most active and its location. There are several other factors that help determine the best time to post Reels on Instagram.