20 Reasons Your Website Can Have High Bounce Rate
What is Bounce Rate?
The bounce rate is defined as the number of visitors who landed on your website but exited it without browsing it further or continuing to visit other pages on your website.
According to RocketFuel Study, most websites will see a bounce rate between 26% to 70%.
According to the gathered data, the bounce rate fall in the following ranges:
- 25% or lower: Something is broken
- 26% to 40%: Excellent
- 41% to 55%: Average
- 56% to 70%: Higher than normal
- 70% or above: Bad
What is Exit Rate?
The exit rate is defined as the percentage of visitors leaving a particular page of a site after visiting a few pages on it. It provides the information of specific pages and measuring the number of visitors who left from a specific page no matter how many other pages they have visited before exiting the site. All bounces are exits, but not all exits are bounces.
Bounce Rate Formula:
Bounce Rate= Total number of one-page visits / Total number of entrance visits
Exit Rate= Total exits from page / Total visits to page
Reasons For A High Bounce Rate
1. Slow Loading Speed
2. Low-Quality Content
- You understand their query or problem
- You have a solution that can solve their problems.
- They just have to take the steps stated in the content
If a visitor fails to get any of these points, they are going to bounce to another site quickly.
One possibility is that your content is great but you have not optimized it properly.
- Are you writing in simple and easy to understand sentences?
- Have you used any images in the content to make it more interactive for your visitor?
- Have you used headers to make the content more understandable?
Try to enhance your writing skills to help your visitor understand it properly and make him engaged on your site.
3. Technical Error:
If your bounce rate is high and the user is not spending more than a few seconds on your site, then it is possible that the landing page is either blank, returning a 404 or not loading properly.
Try to go through the page like a normal visitor and check:
- Is the content good enough to answer the queries of a user?
- Is website loading properly?
- Is the design of your website is easy on the eyes?
- Is there any error that makes your user leave immediately?
4. Poor User Experience
5. Bad Landing Page Experience
6. Use of Misleading Meta Title or Description:
7. Bombarding visitors with ads:
9. Not So Mobile Friendly:
12. Sending Wrong People to a Landing Page:
- They are within your targeted audience
- They are influenced by your pitch before coming to the landing page.
The right traffic will know what your landing page is about as they will be expecting it. This way you will earn their trust and conversions.
13. Poor Grammar and Spelling Errors on the Landing Page:
This is also one of the important reason user bounce back from the landing page. Visitors are looking for any reason to not buy products or services and give you their personal & credit card information. Do not give them any reason for this. Make your landing page free from grammatical & spelling errors. You can employ someone who can speak good English to review every content you produce for your landing pages. There are various sites where you can review such errors:
14. Excessive Use of Attention-Grabbing Graphics:
15. Too Many Questions:
16. Your Website Content is Self-Sufficient:
There are cases where the user gets everything he was looking for from your website.
There are landing pages that have great content and some just have a lead form to fill it.